Thursday 22 November 2007

Square Holes

I like this little digression in the beginning of Brave New World

(Round pegs in square holes tend to have dangerous thoughts about the social system and to infect others with their discontents.)

The whole sentences is a parentheses. I like that. When I got home last night my cat came running through the cat flap after me, out of the veil of rain and gothic gloom outside. She ran up to me with tail upright and face upturned, beads of water clinging to her kitty fur. Feed me. I did and after she ate she sat on the floor and licked and watched me. I often think she seems part owl, part snake and to a lesser degree, part cat. I went to pick her up and her little face looked stricken. In my arms I could feel her small body tense up. She gripped me with her pin-cushion paws and her jaw dropped open in a rictus of feline rage, her ears went back and her eyes yellowed and soured and she lunged at my arm like a viper. She is an insolent little thing. She is a round peg.

1 comment:

Simon said...

I always considered myself more of a hole, but I don't know what shape.